Loud music could fetch a $114 ticket in the state of Florida starting July 1st 2022. The new law will give law enforcement yet another reason to issue you a citation. Many think it’s unfair and could lead to selective enforcement. On the other hand, emergency service workers think it could help drivers hear their vehicle’s sirens better. Others just plain hate the noise in their neighborhoods and support the new law for a little piece of quiet.
No matter what you may think of this, it will become enforceable today. Here’s a few things you should know: (you can also read the entire FL Statute below.
As you can see this gives law enforcement lots of room to issue citations. However, they must be able to prove this in court so there’s also plenty of room to fight them. Music “audible within 25 feet” seems pretty subjective to us. Some may remember that a similar statute was deemed unconstitutional back in 2012. What’s different ten years later? Not much. It will be interesting to see how long until it gets challenged.
In the meantime, the lawyers at The Ticket Clinic are ready to take on these “too loud” tickets. Text a tick pic to 305305 for a fast and free quote or call to speak to a legal assistant.
316.3045 Operation of radios or other mechanical soundmaking devices or instruments in vehicles; exemptions.—
(1) It is unlawful for any person operating or occupying a motor vehicle on a street or highway to operate or amplify the sound produced by a radio, tape player, or other mechanical soundmaking device or instrument from within the motor vehicle so that the sound is:
(a) Plainly audible at a distance of 25 feet or more from the motor vehicle; or
(b) Louder than necessary for the convenient hearing by persons inside the vehicle in areas adjoining churches, schools, or hospitals.
(2) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any law enforcement motor vehicle equipped with any communication device necessary in the performance of law enforcement duties or to any emergency vehicle equipped with any communication device necessary in the performance of any emergency procedures.
(3) The provisions of this section do not apply to motor vehicles used for business or political purposes, which in the normal course of conducting such business use soundmaking devices. The provisions of this subsection shall not be deemed to prevent local authorities, with respect to streets and highways under their jurisdiction and within the reasonable exercise of the police power, from regulating the time and manner in which such business may be operated.
(4) The provisions of this section do not apply to the noise made by a horn or other warning device required or permitted by s. 316.271. The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall promulgate rules defining “plainly audible” and establish standards regarding how sound should be measured by law enforcement personnel who enforce the provisions of this section.
(5) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
History.—s. 1, ch. 90-256; s. 220, ch. 99-248; s. 9, ch. 2005-164.
"I don't know how I can even say how greatful I am for the great work you did winning my case. So, all I can say is Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!, Thank you!, Thank you!!" Thomas J. - "I just wanted to say thank you! Your firm not only got all my daughters charges dismissed, but there were no court costs or even driving school! She had definitely gotten herself into some trouble and I cannot believe the outcome was this good!! Thank you again! I will recommend you to anyone that asks. I don't know if there are any website for reviews on law firms, but if there is let me know so I can say how excellent your firm is." Yelp User - "Wish I could rate them 10 stars..took care of ticket,cheaper than what the ticket would had cost, no points, no school, I am blown away, fantastic job done by these guys at a very reasonable price, sorry I can't give details because I am ashamed of my stupidity, luckily I learned my lesson and it was only a trap." Roberto C. - "I will use you time and time agian. Have recommended you to several family members and friends thank you so much I am very very happy with the outcome but I don't plan on getting any more tickets! Again thank you Ticket Clinic." Lisette R. - "They are just the best... From the people answering the phone (yes actual well spoken and courteous people) to the assistant that attended me when I visit their offices at South Dixie Highway and 22nd." Jamie C. - "The convenience is my favorite part! Entered my ticket online and paid. My ticket was $200+ ..They went to court for me and my ticket was dismissed. Emailed me confirming everything was taken care of and that was that! I do believe this is a case by case basis. I have a very good driving record so I'm happy I didn't have to waste my time with this. Highly recommend!" Kathy V. - "I just called them on the phone. I provided the information regarding my ticket which I felt was not my fault in an accident I was involved in. They took care of it and I didn't have to show up to court. No points, no ticket. Well worth what they charged me." George A. - "I was pleased to receive your letter of February 21, 2017 advising me that all charges against me were dismissed by the Court. I am very pleased how the Ticket Clinic handled my case. I definitely will recommend the Ticket Clinic to friends and neighbors should they be issued a traffic ticket. Many thanks again for solving my problem." Wolfgang H. - "In a world where people always seem to want to register complaints, I thought I would take a moment and register my extreme satisfaction with your company and especially for Miss T! She is extremely helpful, courteous, and knowledgeable and she is a pleasure to do business with!" Jeff M. - "Great Job!!!!! Keep up the great work.We are extremely impressed with your performance. :)" Lionel O. - "I wanted to thank you and your firm for the great job you did with my case. I'm extremely grateful that your firm worked so hard on my case to get it dismissed. I will definitely write an awesome REVIEW for the phenomenal work your firm did!!!" Elizabeth B. -