Speeding tickets can happen to everyone. A few simple tricks can make all of the difference when taking one to court.
1. Whenever you receive a ticket (speeding or any other type) do not argue with the officer on the side of the street. Contrary to what you may think, this will not get you a “warning” instead, and may end up hurting your case. Often, the officer takes notes about his or her encounter with you. The more that you argue, the more notes that will be taken to help the officer remember the facts of your case when it comes time for court. Try to be as quiet, respectful and non-existent as possible. Sometimes, if the encounter is non-eventful, the officer will forget some of the details in court, and that can get your case dismissed.
2. In court, you have the right to inspect the officer’s documents relating to the speed measuring device used in your case. Whether an aircraft, a speedometer, a laser or a radar was used, there are rules regarding these devices, their testing and their admissibility in court. A brief review of these documents can show some flaws in the case. This technique requires some homework, so that the driver is familiar with the rules that apply in that particular state. Usually, these rules and codes can be found on the internet or at a local law library. Or you can contact an experienced traffic ticket attorney to help you with your case.
3. Today, many cars and trucks are modified with bigger wheels and tires. If you have modified your car, be careful as these modifications can effect the accuracy of the speedometer. You can have the speedometer corrected and checked before court and show this proof to the judge. That could be enough to get your ticket dismissed.
4. Look at the ticket carefully, and pay particular attention to the statute cited on the ticket. Get a copy of the statute (it can be found on the internet) and read it carefully. Make sure that the officer cited you with the correct statute and subsection. In many states, the officer can “amend” or fix the citation before the trial starts. Once the trial starts, no more amendments should be allowed by the court. Also, make sure that the officer testifies sufficiently as to each requirement of the statute. The failure to testify about one essential element of the statute can be enough for you to win your case. Consider contacting an experienced traffic ticket attorney to help you understand the language of the statutes.
5. Come prepared for court. Make sure that you are dressed properly and show the court the respect that it deserves. For trial, bring all evidence, diagrams, photos and witnesses that are available to help in your defense. Be prepared to explain the circumstances and surroundings that support your position. This effort and preparation will go a long way, and might be enough to get your case thrown right out of court!
As always, you can also contact a traffic ticket attorney to help you with your case if you have any questions. The Ticket Clinic has defended over 1 million traffic-related tickets, including DUI, in Florida, California and nationwide. Call us at 1.800.CITATION.
"I don't know how I can even say how greatful I am for the great work you did winning my case. So, all I can say is Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!, Thank you!, Thank you!!" Thomas J. - "I just wanted to say thank you! Your firm not only got all my daughters charges dismissed, but there were no court costs or even driving school! She had definitely gotten herself into some trouble and I cannot believe the outcome was this good!! Thank you again! I will recommend you to anyone that asks. I don't know if there are any website for reviews on law firms, but if there is let me know so I can say how excellent your firm is." Yelp User - "Wish I could rate them 10 stars..took care of ticket,cheaper than what the ticket would had cost, no points, no school, I am blown away, fantastic job done by these guys at a very reasonable price, sorry I can't give details because I am ashamed of my stupidity, luckily I learned my lesson and it was only a trap." Roberto C. - "I will use you time and time agian. Have recommended you to several family members and friends thank you so much I am very very happy with the outcome but I don't plan on getting any more tickets! Again thank you Ticket Clinic." Lisette R. - "They are just the best... From the people answering the phone (yes actual well spoken and courteous people) to the assistant that attended me when I visit their offices at South Dixie Highway and 22nd." Jamie C. - "The convenience is my favorite part! Entered my ticket online and paid. My ticket was $200+ ..They went to court for me and my ticket was dismissed. Emailed me confirming everything was taken care of and that was that! I do believe this is a case by case basis. I have a very good driving record so I'm happy I didn't have to waste my time with this. Highly recommend!" Kathy V. - "I just called them on the phone. I provided the information regarding my ticket which I felt was not my fault in an accident I was involved in. They took care of it and I didn't have to show up to court. No points, no ticket. Well worth what they charged me." George A. - "I was pleased to receive your letter of February 21, 2017 advising me that all charges against me were dismissed by the Court. I am very pleased how the Ticket Clinic handled my case. I definitely will recommend the Ticket Clinic to friends and neighbors should they be issued a traffic ticket. Many thanks again for solving my problem." Wolfgang H. - "In a world where people always seem to want to register complaints, I thought I would take a moment and register my extreme satisfaction with your company and especially for Miss T! She is extremely helpful, courteous, and knowledgeable and she is a pleasure to do business with!" Jeff M. - "Great Job!!!!! Keep up the great work.We are extremely impressed with your performance. :)" Lionel O. - "I wanted to thank you and your firm for the great job you did with my case. I'm extremely grateful that your firm worked so hard on my case to get it dismissed. I will definitely write an awesome REVIEW for the phenomenal work your firm did!!!" Elizabeth B. -